We, the members of the Genesee Lutheran Parish, in receiving God’s gracious gifts, are committed to be living examples of Jesus’ love by strengthening and encouraging each other. We commit to love every person and serve anyone we can through word and deed, following the example of our Lord.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Tuesday Morning Sermon Notes

We continue this week's reflections on sermons from our recently-confirmed confirmation class.  Enjoy the theological musings of our young folks!
------------------------------

You mentioned that church and God can be different, that people tend to go to church without actually being there.

I know what you mean because I used to do this all the time when I was little.  I would go to church because it would make my mom happy.  At the time that was all that really mattered because if she was in a good mood, that would give me greater odds when it came to debating nap-time.  I was never really into church until I was about 11.  That was when I started really paying attention and it was interesting.  I would always think about the sermons as if they were stories and I would apply them to myself in my mind.

Sometimes people just space out and pray when told but never actually connect or fully engage themselves in the service.  But if you aren't going to church to be with God, why go?  Sometimes we go to make people happy or for fellowship or to play with friends.

A point you made which made me laugh was, "Bring the Spirit and the Tasks will take care of themselves."  I love this.  I'm not 100% sure why but it just makes me smile.  If you get jazzy with the things you do and you forget about the long list of things you have to do when the party (or whatever) is done, it'll make the tasks so much easier.  You will know you had a good time doing it.  That's what matters, right?

------------------------------

Indeed.  Words to live by.  Here's hoping that all who participate in church--for whatever reason--devote themselves fully to that reason and that the Spirit will bless it, translating our efforts into something bigger than all of us.

--Pastor Dave (pastordave@geneseelutheranparish.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment