We, the members of the Genesee Lutheran Parish, in receiving God’s gracious gifts, are committed to be living examples of Jesus’ love by strengthening and encouraging each other. We commit to love every person and serve anyone we can through word and deed, following the example of our Lord.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Confirmation Sermon Notes: Listening and Talking to God

Today we continue looking at the sermon notes of our recently-confirmed Confirmation Class.  This lesson is about listening to God...and being careful what you ask for.  Enjoy!

I have always been a very skeptical person.  I think about times where instead of taking a leap of faith and trusting, I let doubt hold me back.  Part of me wants to say, "Pfsh.  How many 'great leaps of faith' would a 14-year-old run into?"  But once God proved to me that he was there and always listening.
We ask God to prove himself to us by giving us everything we want but we don't realize he already has.  Then when things don't go exactly our way, we cross our arms and turn our backs on Him.
My mom and I used to say prayers every night.  We'd go through everyone in our family and bless them.  In first grade I want out of school really, really bad.  The only way I could get out is if I was sick.  So one night when we were naming off names and my mom said my name I cut her off and said, "NO!  Don't bless me!"
The next night when she was approaching my name she looked at me and I shook my head.  Again I got skipped.  I don't think I really expected anything to happen.  But the morning after I woke up and it was the worst I had ever felt!  It was probably one of the worst times ever.  I will remember it even when I'm eighty-seven!
I haven't been that sick since.  I've learned my lesson!  Since then I've tried not to doubt God.  I got what I asked for from him but it turned out to be one of the worst experiences of my life!
It's never a question of whether God is listening to you, but if you are listening to him.
Words to live by from one of our youngsters!

--Pastor Dave (pastordave@geneseelutheranparish.org)


No comments:

Post a Comment