We, the members of the Genesee Lutheran Parish, in receiving God’s gracious gifts, are committed to be living examples of Jesus’ love by strengthening and encouraging each other. We commit to love every person and serve anyone we can through word and deed, following the example of our Lord.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tuesday Devotion: October 18th, 2011

Every Tuesday we're going to do a short devotion to carry you through the week.  It'll be a single thought, simple to remember, a pick-me-up of sorts!

Today's thought is one we've been batting around in Thursday night catechism study.  There are as many definitions of the word "faith" as there are people who carry it.  Most folks equate "faith" with "belief".  This is accurate, but needs further definition.  In our culture a "belief" is something you carry in your head, an idea that you agree with and choose to adopt.  That isn't adequate to describe faith.  Faith does involve belief, but it's not the "idea in your head" kind.  It's the same kind of belief you employ when crossing a bridge.  You'd never say, "I believe this bridge exists".  That's obvious.  Instead by crossing it you evidence trust in its solidity, structural integrity.  You trust that it will hold you up.  And it's not even an intellectual thought most of the time.  You show your trust by simply crossing.

That's the same way we have faith in God.  When you read "faith" you can think "belief" as long as you define belief as trust.  Every time you read the word "believe"--from Jesus saying "You believe in God, believe also in me" in John 14 to "I believe in God the Father Almighty" in the Apostles Creed--your mind should automatically translate the verb as "trust".

Think about anyone you're close to.  Which option is better?  "I acknowledge you exist and hang around with you because I find you compatible with my ideals and I'm hoping you do good things for me" or "I trust in you and in our relationship"?  Which would you prefer to hear from your loved ones?  Which do you think God wants to hear from you?

Prayer for the Week:  Dear God, I trust in you above all things.  Strengthen my faith, help me believe even when I'm unsure, let me make trust in your love the foundation of my life and all my relationships.  Amen.

--Pastor Dave (pastordave@geneseelutheranparish.org)