We, the members of the Genesee Lutheran Parish, in receiving God’s gracious gifts, are committed to be living examples of Jesus’ love by strengthening and encouraging each other. We commit to love every person and serve anyone we can through word and deed, following the example of our Lord.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

One Member's Thoughts about Holy Week

This week which started on Sunday with both the celebration of Palm Sunday and the sadness of Passion Sunday is challenging for me.  So many conflicting emotions are packed into one short week!

I work during the week, so I have to schedule time in the day to focus on what once happened during this most important week.  I was glad that on Sunday that we members first celebrated Palm Sunday and Jesus' entry into Jerusalem amidst the adoration of the Jewish people, by singing "Glory, Laud, and Honor" and waving palm branches!  I love that celebratory piece!

But then, because many parish members miss out on the Holy Week services Thursday and Friday, Pastor Dana Helsing had members of the congregation read the story of Jesus' last week, including Judas' Betrayal, Peter's Denial, the Jews' Riotous Call for Crucifixion, and Jesus' Death on the Cross. So in a one-hour gathering last Sunday, I felt emotions of jubilation and of sorrow!  Arrggghhh!

Now, another issue that I have during Holy Week is that when I go to work, teaching, I am completely wrapped up in my students and my lessons and my schedule.  I do not have (take?) time during the work day to reflect on this important time in Christ's life.  At night, I go home and am exhausted after work.  Until I go to bed, I have not taken time to reflect on this important Week.  So, 
I am grateful for the Maundy Thursday and Good Friday commemorations which Genesee Lutheran Parish will have this week at St. John, to help me and all of us to focus on those last precious days of Jesus before his death on the cross.

Now, on Easter Sunday, the most happy and exciting day of the Church year, I will be happy again!  I cannot wait.  But, I am glad that I am finally old enough, mature enough, and wise enough to realize that Easter and Christ's Rising from the Dead will not be as joyous to me unless I feel the fear and sadness and grief that was felt all of those years ago.

Verna



No comments:

Post a Comment