We, the members of the Genesee Lutheran Parish, in receiving God’s gracious gifts, are committed to be living examples of Jesus’ love by strengthening and encouraging each other. We commit to love every person and serve anyone we can through word and deed, following the example of our Lord.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Love, Love, Love Is All You Need

I've recently become Bestemor (or grandma) to two beautiful girls. It's been an exciting experience and one I've been eager to have. I knew I would love them as soon as they arrived and did in fact love them before they were born. What an odd concept: how could I love someone so much before I even met them? It can't be because of their looks. Newborns are funny looking creatures that look like old men or aliens or something. However, I did love them immediately and believed they were beautiful regardless of what they actually looked like.  How could I love someone I didn't know? I couldn't love them because they're kind or generous or funny or smart because I don't know if they are. But I love them anyway.

This phenomenon has made me stop and consider how I react when I meet adults or other children. Why don't I love them right off the bat? What a question!  Certainly there are different kinds of love.  Of course, I have to get to know someone new pretty well before I can decide to love them or not. But why? Why can I immediately love my granddaughters and not love everyone else immediately?  No one does that. Why not? Isn't that the most Christ-like thing to do? What would happen if I tried to do that? (For one thing, I'd probably be labeled pretty odd.) But what would it look like? I don't suppose I'd be kissing their toes like I do to the babies. Yeah, that would get me locked up pretty quick. But is there a way for me to try to love everyone I meet?  I guess it’s just as easy as remembering that whoever I meet is God’s child. I don’t have to figure out if they’re worthy of loving: God’s already done that. Maybe I just have to remember to let that thought override the usual first impressions. Love is all you need.

Randi Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment