We, the members of the Genesee Lutheran Parish, in receiving God’s gracious gifts, are committed to be living examples of Jesus’ love by strengthening and encouraging each other. We commit to love every person and serve anyone we can through word and deed, following the example of our Lord.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Responses to Yesterday's Post

Today I want to share some of the responses I got from yesterday's blog post on my basketball website.  You can find the text of that post just below.  These are responses from readers of the Blazers site, not from readers of this one...in other words non-church people. Normally I don't post any kind of correspondence but I think they'll be illustrative.  I'm keeping names off of them and, really, not many people outside our local area read here.  It's not like I'm broadcasting this to the world at this point.  So I'm making an exception.

Read them by clicking through...

Here are four responses, examples of the kind of feedback I received:

1.  I'm not a religious type of guy; I've tried to learn about and experience many types of religions, I've even done some work as a musician playing at church camps and events, but it's never been something that I really embraced or understood. 

Even though my beliefs are completely different from yours I agree with you on all points and found some of your ideas new and interesting.  I already respect you as a writer and a basketball guy, but this piece goes so much deeper, and in a way that's accessible and relatable even to a guy like me.  I wish more people were able to convey their beliefs in such a friendly and non-judgmental way.  It's refreshing, not just to read and agree, but to feel like your article was written for guys like me and not just those who share the same belief system as you.  A lot of folks in your line of work look down on those of us who go on a different path, or put all their emphasis and energy into drawing a line in the sand and only speaking to those who are on the "right" side of it.  It gives ME some faith to read this article and know that there are voices out there who are open, logical, and respectful to everyone listening.

2.  I want to thank you for your piece, as I could see that it was well thought out and written.  There were many aspects that I applaud you for, as follows:

You established the necessary rules regarding respecting other people's background.  Often, these conversations end with someone's feelings hurt.  Of course you know this, I can tell by the way you treated it.  However, this was an essential aspect for a civil discussion.  Moreover, in this arena, you created the jump to allow those who would like to skip it to be able to do so.  Intelligent!

You were very specific about what aspects you found acceptable and unacceptable.  When having discussions about people's personal beliefs, often we take the entire bag and stereotype.  This allows for people to become, more or less, objects and their humanity is stripped.  When you were specific about Babbitt and Tebow's beliefs, it was clear that they were still human, especially the way you did not question their motives.  I agree that they are doing what they think God wants them to do.

You were theologically sound.  I respect the way you were able to evaluate the entire situation from other people's perspectives and from the perspective of the Jesus that you know.  By the way, he sounds an awful lot like the Jesus I know.  Not always do I hear that...

3.  On a personal level, I appreciated very much the way in which you expressed your thoughts. Some of what you said is the perfect expression of a feeling I have tried to cultivate over my life, and more intensely over the last few months. I'm a Mormon, and an avid reader of anything that is written by the popular media about my religion. I'm not a big fan of Mitt Romney (or at least what little I know of him), but what his candidacy has provided countless (and perhaps too many) opportunities for the media to write anything they can think of about my religion. I've been largely disgusted by the tone and lack of respect for all perspectives that I've seen from the media, as well as the published general public on the subject. What it has done, though, is allowed me to have a personal perspective evolution of sorts, and more of a respect for opposing viewpoints in all areas of my life. I only share this with you to tell you thank you for being "you," and for taking the time to share "you" with the rest of us. Your example of objectivity, respect, patience are a blessing to all who read your pieces, whether they perceive so or not. I hope to continue to cultivate my own perspective of objectivity, respect and patience in the same way. So thank you.

Amazing that something as trivial, in the grand scheme of things, as the Portland Trailblazers can spark discussion with far more important implications. I'm grateful that it can.

4.  I just finished your story on religion.  I have never written to an author before, but I was just blown away at how well that was written.  Thank you!

OK...I just snuck that fourth one in there because it was cool to read that!  But consider the other three, particularly in the light of our upcoming discussions of evangelism.  (I did mention that EVERYONE should attend one of those workshops, right?)

These three people came from completely different positions.  One was a non-religious person, another a more mainstream religious guy, the third a Mormon.  And yet every one of them felt blessed to hear and discuss these issues about God and faith...as did several more people who wrote in a similar vein.  Every one of them felt welcomed and embraced.  Every one felt like the article spoke directly to them.  Every one of them felt like they had something to contribute as well.

I bring this up because whenever I mention the word "evangelism" our instinct is to cringe and/or run.  We've been taught so many awful things about what that word means.  That's bad evangelism.  What happened through this article is good evangelism.  It's not about knocking on doors and convincing people to join your church.  It's about finding your own voice of faith, being able to express it in your own way, and through opening yourself up a little you give others the chance to do so as well.  It's a great blessing, not a great burden.

Before we even get to those workshops, notice the qualities that these readers cited:  interesting, respectful, inclusive, non-judgmental, well-considered, uplifting, fair, empathetic towards others, intentional, caring, and bringing something extraordinary out of the ordinary.  Those are all faithful qualities.  Despite that fourth comment, don't make the mistake of blaming all of this on the "well-written" part.  These responses didn't happen just because I'm a fancy-dancy writer.  Writing was the method through which these characteristics were conveyed, yes.  But the transformation and growth here happened not because of elegant wording, but because of the spirit behind those words.  Writing was just an avenue. Had I started with awful, things to convey they would have been rejected no matter how well I phrased them.

This is important because all of you have avenues to convey these things too!  Yours may not be writing on a website.  Maybe it's crafts or music or nursing or cooking.  We're not trying to teach you a bunch of high-sounding words to convince people of something, as if evangelism boiled down to a group of magic phrases.  Instead we want to help you examine YOUR particular avenue, your way of sharing yourself, and how to make it a transformative gift to the world.  It's not hard.  It just takes starting with the right spirit and being intentional about what you do with it.

Anyway, let this little window into my world encourage you to jump on board and figure out how all of this works.  I've seen God working in all of you.  It's time to let that out a little bit in ways that you're going to love!  If this experience is any indicator (and it is, because this isn't the only time this has happened) the people around you will love it too.

Imagine that.  We can help you share God with the people around you in a way they will love.  Who would have thunk it?

--Pastor Dave (pastordave@geneseelutheranparish.org)

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I am glad you do the Blazers thing, because you are able to reach so many other people through it. That was fun to read~Thanks for sharing this, Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am eager for the Evangelism sessions too! Based on past experiences with Evangelism groups, I am surprised to see my words! Chuckle. I work in the public sector and am interested to see how I can be a good evangelist without "infringing on folk's rights." :)

    ReplyDelete